Monday, December 7, 2015

Another Rose Challenge


Another Rose Challenge 
watercolor 7.9x7.9 
Matted 12x12 inches 

Some paintings just fall into place this one did not! It is my submission to the Daily Paintworks Challenge hosted by wonderful painter @Kaethe Bealer. Yellow is the hardest value for me to determine so when I saw the return of the rose challenge in yellow form my blood ran cold. ( yes. I take this all very personally).
My first attempt was a real clunker ..over painted and dead on arrival. I thought about strategy all night and decided that yellow needed to be grayed with violet. Whites needed to be preserved finding neutrals that were gray but still in the yellow family had to be found.
So here it is a two day effort. It is honestly the best I can do at this point. I stand by this rose.

6 comments:

  1. It is very nice Jo. It shows how much you worked and thought. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen. I think I figured out some things. I am going to try it again because I have more learning to do.

      Delete
  2. Sorry this caused you such turmoil but I have to say, this is very successful! It's beautiful Jo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The turmoil is all self created and unnecessary .It seems to be part of my process. First I hope, then I fret, Then I strategize and then I keep going until I have learned all I can and then I move on and circle back.

      Delete
  3. I love your work and admire your motivation and your tenacity.
    Your paintings are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, I am learning as much as I can about mixing yellow and violet. I need to learn this now so I can apply it later.

      Delete